When you first find out that you are pregnant or are trying to conceive you will find that the wold of baby making and babies can be quite an overwhelming place. Thrown at you will be information and words you’ve never heard of before, advice from all angles, information to process and the only thing you are probably wondering to yourself is where to really begin? So one of the most important things that I talk about throughout my pregnancy series is Folic Acid.
All over the world pregnancy care differs, this may be due to culture, climate, religious, health differences, but after researching thoroughly I have found that one thing that remains the same is that the supplement folic acid is prescribed to every women from any corner of the world, regardless of background differences.
So what is Folic Acid? Folic acid is one of the B vitamins, it is used as a supplement during pregnancy to prevent NTD (neural tube defects) it is also used to treat amnesia caused by folic acid defects. Folate is essential for the body to make DNA, RNA and used in the process of metabolization of amino acids, as humans our bodies cannot make folate and therefore it is required from the diet. So as you can see folic acid plays an essential role in our bodily functions but even more of an essential role during pregnancy, therefore if you are trying to conceive or are pregnant and are aware of the pregnancy, then folic acid is a must and here are more reasons why…
- Women who take folic acid supplements when trying to conceive have a higher change of falling pregnant quicker.
- Taking folic acid before conception reduces the risk of neural tube defects by up to 70%
- Prevents the risk of birth defects on baby’s brain and spinal cord
- Plays an important role in the production of red blood cells
- Helps the neural tube of baby develop into the brain and spinal cord.
- As well as taking a supplement of folic acid a day, it can also be found in food.
- Can be found in leafy greens and citrus fruits (yummy)
So as you can see Folic acid is a true superhero to pregnancy and if you are trying to make babies, or you are already in first trimester, do not forget to take your folic acid!