I like carrot cake. I lie. I adore carrot cake. As those of you who follow my blog know, I am obsessed with eating as healthy and clean as I can manage, however, that does not mean I don’t have my flaws. I have an incredible sweet tooth! I LOVE cakes, chocolate, candy you name it, if it’s loaded with sugar, I love it.
So for days on end last week I was craving carrot cake, I kept putting it on knowing it was a calorific bomb waiting to blow. However, I woke up one morning mid-week and thought I was going to go crazy if I just didn’t get this carrot cake. (I’ve heard even breastfeeding mothers crave like crazy, so maybe that’s why.) I don’t actually have a stock of carrot cake in my house, and over here you can’t really find it anywhere except for in restaurants. So what to do? Improvise!
I ended up making my usual bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, except it tasted like without exaggeration EXACTLY LIKE CARROT CAKE, maybe even more satisfying as it was warm and fulfilling. I don’t think I’ll ever eat carrot cake again, I mean I loved this so much I ate oatmeal for lunch. The best thing about this recipe? It takes 7/8 mins in total, is super super healthy, super tasty & it’s like eating cake for breakfast! Seriously what can be better than that?!
- One carrot, peeled and grated
- Milk (cows/coconut/almond/oat/skimmed/soya/ whatever milk you like.) I use Alpro coconut milk or Alpro almond milk, it’s the lowest ever calorie milk, lactose free & tastes amazing)
- Half a teaspoon of ginger
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- One clove (optional)
- A sprinkle of nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup/ brown sugar/ white sugar/ golden syrup (whichever you prefer) I use golden syrup.
- Put all the ingredients in a pan, EXCEPTION of the sweetening ingredient (in my case golden syrup). – Milk and oats amount will be according to however much you eat.
- Put the pan on low fire and stir continuously, it should take roughly 5/6 mins to cook and thicken. – the thickness also depends on how you like your oatmeal.
- If it’s too runny, add more oats. If it’s too thick add more milk until you attain desired consistency.
- When it’s ready pour in a bowl, add two teaspoons of your desired sweetened ingredient, some desiccated coconut on top and enjoy!
Yes, it really is that simple!