15 minutes left to arrive at your appointment, you’ve only managed to scrape your hair in a bun, your baby is screaming in one arm, you’re trying to do everything else with the other… Now, about that perfect make up application to which you had planned to do to make yourself look fresh and cover up lasts nights all nighter – that is, before your baby started screaming… I have a confession to make, I should firstly start by stating this posts’ title is very misleading (almost a lie – oops!). I don’t actually have only 5 favorite make up products, as my ‘favorite’, more so this is more about my ‘five favorite fifteen minute routine’, make up products.
Recently I am in LOVE with the whole make up shizazzle (yeah, yeah I know that’s not really a word). With all the apps, media, technology available to us just a touch or a click away, I find myself spending many a time browsing, surfing, clicking through Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, admiring and picking up tips. It makes me realize just how magical make up is, it’s an art in itself, it allows a person to be whoever they want to be and gives them the confidence to venture out into the world even on a rainy day – but make up, its importance and why we do it? Well, that’s for another days blog post!
For now, we are all aware that it’s almost impossible to be perfectly painted everyday. (As a new mommy, I can definitely say that I don’t always have the time). Many a time we find ourselves in the situation where we just have to rush out, or simply don’t have the time, patience or effort levels to make ourselves up properly, but still want to look presentable. (Remember that time you ran out to the store with your ‘no make up on, I’m hungover, I’ve been partying all night long face’, to buy some milk, then ended up running into your latest crush, so you thought you’d die of embarrassment? I do!) then you vowed you’d never do that again, but would just like to have a make up routine that’s effortless, everyday and ‘boyfriend jeans natural’ at the same time? Well I think I found the key…
Many teenage years I’ve spent experimenting with make up, playing with looks – some of which I’m super embarrassed about until date. Then I transitioned to having a signature look, but would wake up an hour early before uni to ‘perfect’ this look. Then I became a mother. No time for playing around or games then. You have a screaming baby in one arm, or trying to breastfeed, it’s 12.45, you have an important appointment to attend to at 13.00 (15 minutes and its ticking down). You’re determined to cover those bags under your eyes from the new mommy sleepless nights, how?! Here’s the trick…
It’s all in the products – make sure when picking your products you pick something that suits you, regardless of which product your best friend or anyone else is using. I always used to follow the trend, until I realized that a product which really went with my skin decreased my make up application time like times 100. Find your ideal, and just go with it.
So finally, my five fave.
1. MAC PREP + PRIME Skin Base Visage. It’s only been since I’ve given birth that I’ve realized just how much of a MUST this is. This is a primer, I’ve owned it for ages but never used it because I never really saw the point, however, I’ll just assume I didn’t need it before, because since I’ve realized the difference, I cannot go without. Priming your face before a foundation application makes all the difference. It moisturizes, brightens and sets the foundation easily on top. It’s the key to getting that refreshed, I’m so natural I’m not hungover look. ( I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but on days where I’m more tired or dehydrated my foundation looks awful no matter what. – well yeah, priming fixes that problem, I promise!!)
2. MAC STUDIO FIX FLUID I use this in NW40. This is the foundation of foundations. It’s light and easy and super quick to apply as part of that 15 minute routine. But also is magic in the way that if you wanted to have a thicker coverage and make you look more made up, you simply let the first layer dry and just build up from there. (No more buying an ‘everyday foundation’ and a ‘foundation for the club’, yay!)
3. MAC PRO LONGWEAR CONCEALER CACHE-CERNES I use this in NW35, I CANNOT live without this. If I went out without this, I’d look like a zombie and people would surely run for their lives ( I don’t mean to scare anyone out of having children, but having a newborn really does affect your sleep, especially if you’re breastfeeding and on me it shows all in the dark circles under my eyes.) I simply apply this under my eyes and blend it in with my foundation, it makes me look brand new, I love it.
4. MAC RETRACTABLE EYEBROW PENCIL I’m currently using this in brunette, as my hair is brown. Fairly explainable as I have thin eyebrows and when they’re covered by foundation they look like no brows, so this is natural looking, quick and easy to just fill in your eyebrows.
5. MAC FALSE LASHES MASCARA I have teeny tiny eyes, and super short eyelashes, so I like to apply a quick coat of black false lash mascara to open up my eyes and make me look more presentable, just brush the wand through your eyelashes and you’re ready to go!
They’re my 5 most important and favourite make up products for every day. I don’t like to wear tons of make up every day, neither do I have time to do so, however, I do like to go out looking presentable, and this is my quickest combination to achieve that refreshed look. It’s also super manageable (I’ve managed to do this routine whilst ROCKING my crying baby or breastfeeding him – super mommy I hear you say?!)
You could finish this look off with some Chapstick, to moisturizes your lips, I’d take a picture of mine but my husband has stolen it.
Tell me about your five favourite make up products, I’d love to know!